- 1.2kg Cremini Mushrooms (cleaned, trimmed and cut in half)
- 75g Butter
- Small Bunch of Sage (washed, chopped)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (finely diced)
- 4tbsp Olive Oil
- In a large wide surface saute pan, heat under medium high heat until piping hot. Add your butter, olive oil and mushrooms.
- Cook your mushrooms for 6-8mins stirring occasionally until the water content from your mushrooms has been released and your mushrooms are lightly golden brown all over.
- When your mushrooms are lightly golden brown, add your garlic and sage and cook for a further 1-2mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- One of the secrets to cooking mushrooms is to not overcrowd your pan, and if possible to cook them on a single layer.
- Another tip is to leave them undisturbed for the first few mins and than move them around. If you constantly move them around, it prevents them from having enough contact with the pan to brown properly.
- When buying mushrooms, look for larger rather than smaller ones. The larger ones are more mature and hence have more flavour than smaller ones.
- When cleaning your mushrooms, it’s better to clean them with a brush or a damp cloth but it’s fine to wash them with water if their especially dirty. The secret is to not leave them sitting in water for too long, otherwise they act like sponge and soak up too much water. Making it difficult to saute and brown evenly.